Preparation for further renovation work on the historic Montrose City Hall and City Hall Annex received a financial boost with the award of a $137,931 grant from the Colorado Historical Society. The funds will be combined with a 35 percent cash match from the city to develop design and construction documents for the next phase of rehabilitation work.
Colorado Historical Society funds were also used in 2004 to conduct historic structure assessments for City Hall and City Hall Annex.
Montrose City Hall was built in 1927 to serve as both City Hall and the public library. The library was moved to a new location in 1969. The Montrose Fire Dept. No. 1 building, now the City Hall Annex, was built in 1910 as Montrose’s first fire station. The building continued in this capacity until 1980.
Montrose City Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the annex building is listed on the State Register of Historic Properties.
Since the City Council passed the Downtown Development Plan in 2003, the city has worked to implement the Downtown Montrose “civic campus” as identified in the plan. Montrose City Hall/City Hall Annex and the former Elks Lodge are the anchors of the downtown “civic campus” and will ensure the city’s continued presence and contribution to revitalization in the downtown area.