Woodgate Realignment - Phase I
- Project Designer: Del-Mont Consultants (Montrose, CO)
- Contractor: Mountain Valley Contracting (Grand Junction, CO)
- Final Construction Cost: $1.3M
- Completed: July 2022
As far back as the 2008 Comprehensive Plan, the community has envisioned connecting Woodgate Road at its northern end to East Oak Grove Road along the eastern side of Townsend Avenue. This connection aims to relieve heavy traffic congestion in the area and give an alternative to Townsend Avenue.
With traffic pressure building in the area, the city formally started on the design of this realignment project in early 2020. This design included the completion of traffic studies and models to ensure the project was warranted, evaluations of intersection performance, and determination of the best alignment for the new roadway. Once the preferred alignment for the roadway was identified, the city then worked to secure the necessary rights of way, which cross six different parcels of private property.
As shown on the project overview drawing, the alignment joins East Oak Grove approximately 600 feet east of Townsend Avenue. This distance from Townsend is necessary to avoid negatively impacting traffic operations at the East Oak Grove signal and to line up with a future road connection to Church Street that has been envisioned in the city’s Comprehensive Plan. The road includes a center turn lane, bike lanes in each direction, and a sidewalk along the eastern side that ties into the existing sidewalk network along Woodgate and East Oak Grove Roads. The existing intersection with Woodgate Road at Townsend was closed with this project.
Phase II of the Woodgate Realignment project includes the construction of a roundabout at the new intersection of Woodgate and East Oak Grove Roads as shown on the overview drawing. The city is currently working to secure the necessary rights of way to construct this roundabout. Once secured, the city will then work toward implementation of its design and construction.
A video presentation was prepared to provide additional detail on the project drivers, background information, evaluation of alignment alternatives, and the path forward for the project.
Project Documents and Resources
- I understand that the existing intersection of Townsend Avenue and Woodgate Road will be closed. What is the reasoning behind this? How will people get from Townsend Avenue over to Woodgate Road?
- What will become of access to US Bank on the southeastern corner of East Oak Grove and Townsend?
- I see the plan overview calls for a future roundabout at the intersection of Woodgate and East Oak Grove Roads. Why isn’t this being built now with the road project?
- I heard the City purchased a house on the southeast corner of the future East Oak Grove/Woodgate intersection. What is the plan here?