In 2019 the City of Montrose began the community engagement process to develop a new Comprehensive Plan (Plan). The purpose of the Envision 2040 Comprehensive Plan, approved by the City Council on June 1, 2021, is to establish a community vision, set goals, and identify opportunities for growth and development with a 20-year vision and 10-year focus. The Plan serves as the City’s official guide for local decision-making on long-range planning, land use, development, policy, and capital improvements.
About the Plan
The community engagement process provides an opportunity to re-evaluate the community’s vision, goals, and priorities and address current conditions and needs.
The City of Montrose adopted its first Master Plan in 1961, then 1978, 1998, and 2008, with map updates in 2012 and 2016. Municipalities typically update comprehensive plans every ten years.
What is included in a Comprehensive Plan?
A Comprehensive Plan is developed with the assistance of community input. It provides a background of existing conditions, describes the vision, goals, and objectives of the community, and includes an implementation plan.
The City of Montrose Comprehensive Plan includes the following topics as well as an Implementation Plan:
How Was the Plan Developed and Approved?The Comprehensive Plan was developed through community meetings, online surveys, stakeholder interviews, and community workshops. City staff conducted the Comprehensive Plan process with active involvement from the Montrose City Council, Planning Commission, and a Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee. The City Council reviewed and adopted the final plan on June 1, 2021.
Advisory Committee Resources
Community Involvement Documents
- Goals and Objectives Presentation 8-19-20
- Interactive Map Comments
- Downtown Workshop Presentation
- Economy and Opportunity Workshop Presentation
- Region 10 Economic Update
- Spanish Language Workshop Presentation
- Parks and Rec Workshop Presentation
- Land Use and Growth Workshop Summary
- Land Use and Growth Workshop Presentation
- Transportation and Mobility Workshop Presentation
- Housing and Neighborhoods Workshop Presentation
- Spanish Community Kick-Off Meeting Presentation
- Community Kick-Off Meeting Presentation