The City of Montrose is undertaking a community engagement process to develop the City of Montrose Comprehensive Plan (Plan). The purpose of the Comprehensive Plan is to establish a community vision, set goals, and identify opportunities for growth and development with a 20-year vision and 10-year focus. The Plan serves as the City’s official guide for local decision-making on long-range planning, land use, development, policy, and capital improvements.
About the Plan
The community engagement process provides an opportunity to re-evaluate the community’s vision, goals and priorities and address current conditions and needs.
The City of Montrose adopted its first Master Plan in 1961, then 1978, 1998, and 2008,with map updates in 2012 and 2016. Municipalities typically update comprehensive plans every ten years.
What is included in a Comprehensive Plan?
A Comprehensive Plan is developed with the assistance of community input. It provides a background of existing conditions, describes the vision, goals and objectives of the community, and includes an implementation plan. The City of Montrose Comprehensive Plan will include the following topics as well as an Implementation Plan:
How is the Plan Developed and Approved?
The Comprehensive Plan is developed through community meetings, online surveys, stakeholder interviews, and community workshops. City staff will conduct the Comprehensive Plan process with active involvement from the Montrose City Council, Planning Commission, and a Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee. The City Council will review and adopt the final plan, and will provide guidance to City staff regarding the public outreach process.
The City is currently in Phase 2 and 3. The Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee is working on the Goals and Objectives while the City staff continues developing the Plan's framework.
Please see the "Get Involved" section for details on upcoming public meetings and opportunities for comment. Anticipated completion for the project is fall 2020.
On August 19, 2020, city staff presented the draft Goals & Objectives to the Planning Commission and City Council. Read on...
Have comments relating to a specific location in the city?
Submit your input via our interactive map.
Resources and Maps
Advisory Committee Resources
Community Involvement Documents
- Goals and Objectives Presentation 8-19-20
- Interactive Map Comments
- Downtown Workshop Presentation
- Community Events Outreach Summary
- Downtown Workshop Summary
- City Department Head Interviews Summary
- Online Stakeholder Survey Summary
- Economy and Opportunity Workshop
- Economy and Opportunity Workshop Summary
- Region 10 Economic Update
- Spanish Language Workshop Presentation
- Spanish Workshop Summary en Español
- Spanish Workshop Summary
- Health and Environment Workshop Summary
- Parks and Recreation Workshop Summary
- Parks and Rec Workshop Presentation
- Land Use and Growth Workshop Summary
- Land Use and Growth Workshop Presentation
- Transportation and Mobility Workshop Presentation
- Transportation and Mobility Workshop Summary
- Housing and Neighborhoods Workshop Presentation
- Housing and Neighborhood Workshop Summary
- Spanish Community Kick-Off Meeting Presentation
- Spanish-speaking Community Kick-Off Meeting Summary - June 13
- Community Kick-Off Meeting Presentation
- Community Kick-Off Meeting Summary - June 11
- Vision and Values Online Survey Summary
Public involvement is critical in the Comprehensive Plan process. Please join us!
Public participation helps ensure that the final Plan reflects the community’s vision, goals, and priorities for the future. The City will provide numerous opportunities for public engagement throughout the project and will announce them on this website and through social media, news releases, mailings, radio, and television.
Subscribe to receive direct email notifications of the latest developments in the Comprehensive Plan process by entering your contact information on Notify Me.
Call - (970) 240-1478 or (970) 240-1475
Visit us at City Hall (433 S First Street)