- Department Services
- Building Services
Permits and Inspection Services
Building Services issues building permits and provides plan checks and building inspection services for:
- Final issuance of certificates of occupancy
- Heating and cooling
Building Services administers the following:
- Building Permit
- Gas Permit
- Mobile Home Park Construction Permit
- Plumbing Permit
- Temporary Structure Permit
- Temporary Location or Occupancy of Travel Home Permit
- Water/Sewer Connection Permit
Building regulations for the City of Montrose are found in the following chapters of Title IV of the City of Montrose Municipal Code:
- Chapter 1 - Building Regulations
- Chapter 3 - Electrical Code
- Chapter 9 - Housing Code
- Chapter 12 - Mobile Home and Travel Home Regulations
- Chapter 13 - Outdoor Lighting
The following building codes have been adopted as described in Section 4-1-1 of the City of Montrose Municipal Code. Deletions, modifications, and exceptions to these codes are noted in Section 4-1-3:
- 2003 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2003 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2003 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2003 International Uniform/Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2003 International Uniform/Plumbing Code (IPC) (Note: The State of Colorado requires the local jurisdictions enforce 2018)
- 2003 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2020 National Electrical Code (NEC)
Plumbing contractors are required to be licensed through the City Clerk’s Office per Section 4-1-4(B) of the City of Montrose Municipal Code. All licenses issued shall expire on December 31 of each year and must be renewed each year. Plumbing licenses will be issued after an application, proof of a valid state plumber’s license, and annual license fee, as set by City Council resolution and referred to in the City Regulations Manual, have been received.
Plumbing permits will not be issued to persons without an active registration license for the current year. Plumbing contractors are required to notify the City of changes in permit status and cancellation of permits when no longer the plumber of record.
City of Montrose Inspectors shall, based on familiarity with the installer, require each person performing plumbing work, as defined by 12-58-102 definitions C.R.S., to produce documentation upon request.
- Contemporaneous review of plumbers licensure and plumbing contractors licensee-to-apprentice ratio will be performed on job sites during plumbing inspections.
- Contemporaneous review of licenses can be performed randomly when inspectors are on the job site for large commercial or multi-family residential projects.
- Plumbing contractors are not required to be present for all inspections unless requested by a plumbing inspector.
400 E Main Street
P.O. Box 790
Montrose, CO 81402
Monday - Thursday
7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Building Permit Reports
A list of building permits issued by the city is published each month. A collection of past year-end building activity reports as well as the current year-to-date report is available in the Archive Center.