Household Hazardous Waste Event
The City of Montrose, in partnership with Montrose County, hosts waste collection events to give Montrose area residents an opportunity to safely dispose of hazardous chemicals used in many household products.
Information for the event that was held on August 26, 2023, has been retained on this page to assist residents who may wish to participate in a future event. Please note that the actual cost and scheduling information for the next event is not available at this time.
Items Accepted at the Event
Items that were accepted at the 2023 Household Hazardous Waste Event, along with associated fees are listed below:
- Batteries (wet/dry cell) lithium, nickel-cadmium (NiCd) and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) — $4.00 each.
- Large rechargeables (gel cells) — $3.00 each. Alkaline — $2.00 each. Lead-acid batteries — No Charge
- Light bulbs (fluorescent and ballasts) Fluorescent bulbs (8', 4' and shorter) up to 10 — FREE. Over 10, $1.00 each. Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) — FREE
- Liquid Fuels (automotive fluids, degreasers, mineral spirits, gasoline, kerosene) — $1.00 per gallon or $0.50 for smaller containers.
- Liquid Chemicals (acids, adhesives, bleach, caustic cleaners, oxidizers, solvents) — $2.00 per gallon or $.50 for smaller containers.
- Fertilizer (granular) Containers weighing five pounds or less — $1.00 Containers weighing five pounds or more — $2.00.
- Fertilizers (liquid) Containers per gallon — $2.00 Containers less than one gallon — $1.00.
- Herbicides, Pesticides, Poisons, Insecticides (liquids, must be in sealable containers) — $2.00 per gallon or $1.00 for smaller containers.
- Paint (oil & latex based, primers, artist) — No charge. Paint Supplies (cleaner, thinner, varnish, turpentine) — $1.00 per gallon or $0.50 for smaller containers
- Aerosols and spray paint — $1.00 each.
- Fire Extinguishers — $5.00 each
- Solid grease, waxes, oils, chemicals, cleaners — FREE
- Stains, polyurethanes — FREE
- Stucco, plaster, drywall mud, mortar, grout — FREE
- Thermometers (mercury) $1.00 each
- Tanks or bottles containing flammable gas (propane, oxygen, mapp) — small (1 lb) $2.00 each, large (20 lb) $5.00 each (These gasses are not classified as household hazardous waste, however due to the methods required to safely dispose of the containers, they are included in this event.)
Volumes and quantities were limited to a maximum of twenty (20) gallons of liquid waste material (cumulative), fifty (50) pounds of dry granular, pelletized, or powder waste material (cumulative), and twenty (20) aerosol cans (cumulative) per customer.
Items NOT Accepted
The following were NOT collected:
- Unidentifiable chemicals and hazardous wastes
- Non-residential household hazardous wastes
- Excessive volumes or quantities of residential household hazardous wastes reasonably indicating the material was generated from a commercial or industrial facility
- Explosive or radioactive material
- Electronic waste
- Biological/infectious waste