Pet Licensing

The city’s pet licensing program ensures dogs have been vaccinated for rabies and encourages residents to have their dogs spayed or neutered. 

You can obtain a pet license from the Montrose Police Department, the Montrose Animal Services Department, or from participating Montrose area veterinary clinics.  If you are licensing your pet at the animal shelter, you may bring your pet along.  We will take a photograph of your pet to be kept on file.  Photographs are a very helpful tool for recovering lost and stolen pets.

License fees and a copy of the proof of rabies vaccine from a licensed veterinarian must be submitted with each license application.  As of February 2010, the term of each license coincides with the dog's rabies vaccination, and will expire when a new vaccination is required.

To purchase or renew a dog license by mail, download the dog license application and mail the completed form, with the appropriate fee and proof of rabies vaccination, to the City of Montrose.  Please make all checks payable to the City of Montrose.

Pet licensing and other animal control regulations are found in Chapter 6-2 of the City of Montrose Municipal Code.

Spay / Neuter
Spay and neuter services are available from local veterinarians. The Montrose Animal Protection Agency (MAPA) offers vouchers through local veterinarians to assist with the cost of spaying/neutering.  Please contact a veterinarian to ask about this service.

Occasionally, the city sponsors spay and neuter clinics that are advertised well in advance. The fee for adopting pets from the Animal Shelter includes spay / neuter and vaccination.