Reporting Illegal Discharge

Federal regulations define an illicit discharge as “…any discharge to a Municipal Separate Stormwater Sewer system (MS4) that is not entirely comprised of storm water…” with some exceptions. These exceptions are listed in the Stormwater Pollution Prevention policy, Section 3-7 of the City of Montrose Municipal Code.

When to Report
Contact the stormwater coordinator if you suspect or observe any illicit discharge to the stormwater system such as:
  • Animal waste
  • Cleaning products
  • Garbage
  • Hazardous waste
  • Herbicides
  • Lawn chemicals
  • Oil and / or petroleum products
  • Paint products
  • Sediment
  • Wastewater
  • Yard waste
  • Other toxic substances